(also bowhead whale)
- An Arctic right whale with black skin, feeding by skimming the surface for plankton. Also called Greenland right whale.
More example sentences
- Balaena mysticetus, family Balaenidae
- The proposal appears to apply in principle to virtually any species except bowheads and blue whales, though in practice I think the government is more interested in assessing stocks of fins, humpbacks, pilot whales and several dolphins.
- Probably the first thing concerned citizens think of when the word ‘endangered’ pops up is an animal: the California condor, the giant panda, the bowhead whale, the leatherback sea turtle.
- Like all whales, bowheads are sensitive creatures and getting into the water with one must be done with caution-from the whale's standpoint, not just the diver's.
More definitions of bowheadDefinition of bowhead in:
- The US English dictionary