Definition of box office in English:
1A place at a theatre, cinema, etc. where tickets are bought or reserved.
- The theatre had left four complimentary tickets at the box office to thank me for doing some promotion.
- Mobile phone users can pay for concert or movie tickets at the box office simply by holding their phone next to the payment terminal.
- All prices are subject to booking fee and tickets are available from the Theatre Royal box offices and Ticketmaster outlets nationwide.
1.1Used to refer to the commercial success of a film, play, or actor in terms of the audience size or takings that they command: [as modifier]: the movie was a huge box office hit
More example sentences
- Tsui's film was not a box-office success, which suggests his audience was not convinced.
- The box-office success of the film has allayed fears over its performance and has revived hopes for sequels.
- It has worked, and for the second time our film is a box-office hit.
Definition of box office in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia