Definition of brachycephalic in English:
Having a relatively broad, short skull (typically with the breadth at least 80 per cent of the length). Often contrasted with dolichocephalic.
- Thylacoleo are highly specialized brachycephalic predators with greatly hypotrophied molar rows and hypertrophied sectorial third premolars.
- In sthenurines the basioccipital plane is above the palatal plane, more markedly so in the brachycephalic species.
- However, we have fossil records that tell us the brachycephalic (short-skulled, short-nosed, flat-faced) dog breeds, which include the Shih Tzu, Pug, and Pekingese originated in Central Asia.
- Example sentences
- The head shapes include brachycephaly (short front to back), scaphocephaly (long front to back), and trigonocephaly (triangular shape).
- The back of the head is slightly flattened (this is called brachycephaly) and the eyes tend to slant upwards.
- To correct brachycephaly both fused sutures are removed and the skull is narrowed and lengthened.
Pronunciation: /ˌbrakɪˈsɛfəli/ /ˌbrakɪˈkɛfəli/noun
Definition of brachycephalic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan