Definition of bracteate in English:
Having or bearing bracts.
- They are a variety of the preceding, but of smaller size and with the bracteate leaves dull red.
- Male spikelets are on separate individuals, in small bracteate heads 1-2 cm in diameter.
- It has white flowers in a whorled, bracteate raceme, no spathe, roots with tubers.
nounArchaeology Back to top
An ornament or plate of thinly beaten precious metal, typically a thin gold disc.
- These bracteates date from the sixth or seventh century onward; some have come down from the Viking period.
- He only recorded the details of the men's heads in order to be able to study bracteates without any animals as well.
- Before working with gold bracteates, I practiced with shiny coins, though I did not have any gold ones.
Definition of bracteate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan