Small ropes that are led from the leech of a fore-and-aft sail to pulleys on the mast for temporarily furling it.
- As with the brails and sheets, there is no need to trim the scolaringe.
- For approaches, landings, and getting the sail out of the way while rowing, let go the sheet and haul on the brail.
- It was too late to pause, however, and the sheet was slowly eased off, Jack hauling on the brail at the same time.
verb[with object] (brail a sail up)
Furl a sail by hauling on brails.
- Large sprit rigs leave the sprit standing, and the sail is furled by brailing it up to the mast and headrope.
- I would haul the mizen up, and the mizen stay-sail down, or brail it up, hard a weather the helm, shiver the mizen top-sail, let go the main and main-top bowlines, ease off the main sheet, the lee main brace, and round in the weather brace.
Words that rhyme with brailail, ale, assail, avail, bail, bale, bewail, Braille, chain mail, countervail, curtail, dale, downscale, drail, dwale, entail, exhale, fail, faille, flail, frail, Gael, Gail, gale, Grail, grisaille, hail, hale, impale, jail, kale, mail, male, webmail, nonpareil, outsail, pail, pale, quail, rail, sail, sale, sangrail, scale, shale, snail, stale, swale, tail, tale, they'll, trail, upscale, vail, vale, veil, surveil, wail, wale, whale, Yale
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: brail
Definition of brail in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.