Stupid; very foolish: a brainless bimbo
More example sentences
- The decisions of the King will turn out to be more brainless, stupid, foolish, senseless, and imbecilic.
- Even when they're labelled stupid and brainless, they receive the news with huge smiles on their faces.
- He's the stupid, brainless one, and I won't give him any satisfaction.
stupid, foolish, witless, unintelligent, ignorant, mindless, idiotic, imbecilic, imbecile, half-witted, simple-minded, silly, empty-headed, half-baked
informal dumb, brain-dead, moronic, cretinous, thick, as thick as two short planks, thickheaded, dopey, dozy, birdbrained, pea-brained, pinheaded, dippy, lamebrained, dunderheaded, wooden-headed
British informal divvy
Scottish & Northern English informal glaikit
South African informal dof
West Indian informal dotish
- Example sentences
- These ‘demoralised’ pupils brainlessly deposit their rubbish on the streets daily, while the ‘demoralised’ staff, who must be aware of the situation, do little or nothing to stop it.
- Too many people quit after looking at two or three pages - brainlessly dismissive though this may be, it's rather less likely to happen with the printed version.
- This, plus an ending so brainlessly upbeat it looks as if it was borrowed from a different movie, makes The Bone Collector the least impressive release of the week.
- Example sentences
- It is easy to laugh - as I did, regularly - at the brainlessness behind some of the schemes documented here.
- And with House Of Wax's combination of brainlessness and boredom, that's a truly scary thought.
- And while seemingly well adjusted, Ruben too is dispirited, trading on the bodies and brainlessness of his fighters for a few dollars and the dream of the big time.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: brain|less
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.