- An instrument of punishment for a scolding woman, consisting of an iron framework for the head and a sharp metal gag for restraining the tongue.More example sentences
- As punishment, the branks was locked about the women's heads to humiliate them and teach them their place.
- I am glad John Winthorp and John Carver did not bring cumbrous and cruel iron branks to America.
- These branks and the stocks are examples of implements of corporal punishment used in early modern Glasgow.
mid 16th century: origin uncertain; compare with German Pranger 'a pillory or bit for a horse' and Dutch prang 'a fetter'; also with late Middle English barnacle(s), denoting a powerful bit for restraining a horse.
More definitions of branksDefinition of branks in:
- The US English dictionary