Definition of breadwinner in English:
A person who earns money to support their family, typically the sole one: when Roland’s grant ran out, Val became the breadwinner
More example sentences
- I also employ about half-a-dozen workers, some of whom are the sole breadwinners of their families.
- In Qadasiyah province, 35% of children working on the streets were their family's sole breadwinners.
- He added that all the accused were married, had children and were the sole breadwinners of their families.
breadwinning noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Nearly all of the 100,000-plus detainees are able-bodied people of breadwinning age who have, we can assume, a number of dependent family members.
- We're undervaluing and underpaying young adults, including potentially breadwinning fathers.
- The idea that fatherhood is associated with breadwinning, with participation in paid employment, and that this is the main way that men can be social fathers, is therefore historically and culturally specific.
Words that rhyme with breadwinnerHerzegovina
Definition of breadwinner in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.