Any of a number of prickly scrambling shrubs, especially a wild rose: [as modifier]: a briar patch
- Genus Rosa, family Rosaceae: several species, including the Eurasian sweet briar (R. rubiginosa)
More example sentences
- ‘You're not stupid,’ Bella continued, speaking more to the rose briars than to him.
- Glen smiled at the thought of a dirty forest with trees, briars, and wild animals.
- Throughout this long afternoon, we remained motionless in the briar patch.
- Example sentences
- Concentrated and briary, it is spurred on by the 20 per cent grenache used in the blend.
- This offering heaves with fat, rustic, briary fruit.
- This bold, briary, palate is terrific value and will work well with hearty, meaty winter soups.
Old English brǣr, brēr, of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with briaracquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, via, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
1 (also briar pipe) A tobacco pipe made from woody nodules borne at ground level by a large woody plant of the heather family.
- The Centenier finished his coffee, while Holmes selected and filled his briar pipe.
- The briar pipe continued to epitomise solid, dependable, common sense masculinity.
- Every man present had filled his clay or briar pipes with good Virginia tobacco.
Mid 19th century: from French bruyère 'heath, heather', from medieval Latin brucus.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.