Definition of broadleaved in English:
1(Of a tree or plant) having relatively wide flat leaves rather than needles; non-coniferous.
- It mainly parasitizes alfalfa, but also attacks some horticultural crops, legumes, and broadleaved weeds, though it is seldom found on woody plants, grasses, or cereals.
- For example, if an herbicide controls broadleaved weeds but not grasses, grasses will fill the entire field.
- But the inventory shows that the area planted with native pine and broadleaved species, which provide better habitats for wildlife, is expanding.
1.1(Of a wood or woodland) consisting of broadleaved trees: ancient broadleaved woodlands
More example sentences
- Grazing, conifer removal and coppicing are just some of the management techniques being used to conserve species-rich grassland, broadleaved woodland and populations of rare butterflies on the scar.
- At a secret location near Skipton, logs are being used to grow gourmet varieties of mushrooms, in a scheme officers hope could inspire landowners to better manage broadleaved woods.
- During migration they are less restricted than during the breeding season and can be found in brushy areas, along streams, and in shady, broadleaved woodlands.
Definition of broadleaved in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan