- The chemical element of atomic number 35, a dark red fuming toxic liquid with a choking, irritating smell. It is a member of the halogen group and occurs chiefly in the form of salts in seawater and brines. (Symbol: Br)More example sentences
- Along with carbon, they include elements such as hydrogen, oxygen, fluorine, chlorine, bromine, sulphur or nitrogen.
- The ozone depleting compounds contain combinations of the elements chlorine, fluorine, bromine, carbon and hydrogen.
- The halogens are a group of chemical elements that includes fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine.
early 19th century: from French brome, from Greek brōmos 'a stink', + -ine4.
More definitions of bromineDefinition of bromine in:
- The US English dictionary