noun[mass noun] Soil Science
- A type of soil having a brown humus-rich surface layer.More example sentences
- Brown earths are mostly located between 30° and 55° north of the Equator.
- Brown earths cover 45% of the land in England and Wales.
- Brown earths have the second highest primary productivity of all soils, second only to tropical soils, the difference between them resulting from the winter season when deciduous trees are virtually dormant and the colder weather inhibits growth.
More definitions of brown earthDefinition of brown earth in:
- The US English dictionary