Definition of brown sauce in English:
1A savoury sauce made with fat and flour cooked to a brown colour.
- Try the sliced trotter in brown sauce or the sliced beef in brown sauce.
- The emphasis is on home-made dishes: corned beef hash with Tracy's own brown sauce; sandwiches with turkey and ham cooked on the premises; soup and freshly-baked bread; quiche and more.
- It was a plate of Icelandic lobster tails and lamb served with a tomato/zucchini salsa, roasted potatoes and some brown sauce.
2A commercially prepared relish containing vinegar and spices.
- Being highly concentrated, Worcester sauce is employed mostly as a condiment or an ingredient rather than as a relish like the brown sauce which it superficially resembles.
- There is apparently a similar line running through the Central Belt, where the preference for vinegar with chips morphs into the craving for brown sauce with them.
- Daily newspapers were on the rack, including the Pattaya Mail, of course, while on the table were the usual condiments, including brown sauce and ketchup.
Definition of brown sauce in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia