(also brown-tail moth)
A white European tussock moth with a tuft of brown hairs on the tip of the abdomen. The caterpillars have severely irritant hairs that can produce an allergic reaction, overwinter in a communal web, and can be a pest of tree foliage.
- Euproctis chrysorrhoea, family Lymantriidae
More example sentences
- Scientists hope the virus can kill at least 80 percent of the brown-tail moth population in the state.
- These caterpillars of the brown-tail moth are noted for their poisonous hairs, which can cause a rash on contact with skin.
- Gypsy moth caterpillars defoliate trees, bitter-sweet vines strangle native trees, and brown-tail moths pose threats both to trees and human health.
More definitions of brown-tailDefinition of brown-tail in:
- The US English dictionary