- 1Relating to the cheek: the buccal side of the molarsMore example sentences
- Examination of the intraoral tissues includes inspection and palpation of the lips, buccal mucosa, tongue, floor of the mouth, gingiva and palate.
- Palatal width across the fourth premolar: Greatest breadth across the buccal sides of fourth premolars.
- All cusps bulge slightly on the buccal side, leaving a broad lingual shelf.
- 1.1Relating to the mouth: the buccal cavityMore example sentences
- In suction feeding, the hyobranchial apparatus is rapidly depressed while the mouth is opened, expanding the buccal cavity and drawing water and prey into the mouth.
- The sample is either from the mouth - a buccal sample - or a prick of blood from the thumb, any of which is an injury that one would suffer in the normal event of living, and would cause minimal interference or discomfort.
- A cephalopod is also characterized by a horny beak secreted by the walls of the buccal cavity, and a radula within the buccal cavity.
early 19th century: from Latin bucca 'cheek' + -al.
More definitions of buccalDefinition of buccal in:
- The US English dictionary