Relating to the pleasant aspects of the countryside and country life: the church is lovely for its bucolic setting
More example sentences
- The last painting Church executed on this theme, A Country Home, provides a bucolic slice of life in a serenely solitary and beautiful setting.
- Perhaps you're outdoorsy and love the idea of a bucolic agrarian business.
- It is a scene of almost bucolic splendour - a groundsman astride his motorised roller putting the finishing touches to a beautifully manicured cricket ground nestling on the fringes of an attractive county town.
rustic, rural, pastoral, country, countryside, agricultural, agrarian, outdoor, idyllic, unspoilt
literary Arcadian, sylvan
rare georgic, agrestic
A pastoral poem.
- The result is a complex mix of ancient Greek bucolics (pastoral poetry), the natural history of northern Italy, and the harsh realities of contemporary Roman politics.
- As the French feminist Simone de Beauvoir put it: ‘Sade's perverse bucolics have the grim austerity of a nudist colony.’
- Work on a third manuscript, which is called Bucolics, has, however, led me to realize that I am actually trying to construct a poetic trilogy, three separate books that examine an individual's relationship to the natural world.
- Example sentences
- During 1922 the Lake Erie & Western and the Toledo, St. Louis & Western Railroad (bucolically known as the Clover Leaf Route) were acquired by the Nickel Plate Road.
- We are in Shaftesbury, the Dorset town bucolically engirdled by the Vale of Blackmore.
- The agenda is distinctly and bucolically British, with Elgar, Vaughan Williams, Michael Head and Eric Coates lined up.
Early 16th century (as a noun): via Latin from Greek boukolikos, from boukolos 'herdsman', from bous 'ox'.
Words that rhyme with bucolicalcoholic, anabolic, apostolic, carbolic, chocoholic, colic, diabolic, embolic, frolic, hydraulic, hyperbolic, melancholic, metabolic, parabolic, rollick, shambolic, shopaholic, symbolic, vitriolic, workaholic
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.