- A small neutral country situated between two larger hostile countries and serving to prevent the outbreak of regional conflict.More example sentences
- On the last occasion in 1944, Stalin backed the ‘independent’ republic as a buffer state and provided limited aid.
- In order for the country to be accepted as independent and a buffer state, the country needed to reform.
- The country's present borders were established at the end of the nineteenth century, ‘when the great powers sought to establish a buffer state between the British and Russian empires.’
More definitions of buffer stateDefinition of buffer state in:
- The US English dictionary