(also bulimia nervosa)
An emotional disorder characterized by a distorted body image and an obsessive desire to lose weight, in which bouts of extreme overeating are followed by fasting or self-induced vomiting or purging.
More example sentences
- These disorders include anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder.
- The American Psychiatric Association characterizes anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa as biopsychosocial disorders that result in distortions in self-image and self-perception.
- Currently, 30 percent of Americans are obese, compared with the 4 percent who meet criteria for anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, or binge-eating disorder.
late Middle English (as bolisme, later bulimy): modern Latin, or from medieval Latin bolismos, from Greek boulimia 'ravenous hunger', from bous 'ox' + limos 'hunger'.
- More example sentences
- Some of the youngest sufferers are the children of anorexics and bulimics, many of whom raise their families with bizarre attitudes towards food.
- In support of this hypothesis, Friedman and Whisman found that sociotropy was significantly related to depressive and bulimic symptomatology.
- We used a criterion measure of eating pathology that separates the cognitive and behavioural aspects of anorexic and bulimic eating pathology.