Irritatingly self-assertive: an impossibly bumptious and opinionated ass
More example sentences
- This bumptious charlatan then presumes to lecture others on issues of morality and governance.
- When the bill arrived at one table of four, one particularly bumptious oaf grabbed it, held it aloft, and started braying to his companions: ‘Guess how much!’
- Can I say that about content on my own site without sounding bumptious?
self-important, conceited, arrogant, self-assertive, full of oneself, puffed up, swollen-headed, pompous, overbearing, (self-)opinionated, cocky, swaggering, strutting, presumptuous, forward, imperious, domineering, pontificating, sententious, grandiose, affected, stiff, vain, haughty, overweening, proud, egotistic, egotistical;
supercilious, condescending, patronizing
- Example sentences
- They disported themselves bumptiously, like they were aces.
- They also acted their parts as classically as the admirable comedians interfered bumptiously with all the sobriety, and Phillip Addis must be commended for his singing as well.
- I do not think that ever again has that hopeful, almost bumptiously hopeful, atmosphere reappeared in this country.
- Example sentences
- Churchill was a survivor from that earlier age of adventure who never fossilised, and what he breathed over his comrades - bumptiousness, energy, sometimes alcohol, sometimes deathless words - was always charged with life.
- Englishmen, however, increasingly viewed the rapidly developing ‘Great Republic of the West’ with the pride of a parent mixed with annoyance at the adolescent's bumptiousness.
- His letters display both the bumptiousness and self-integrity which got him kicked out of Cuba and Prague.
Early 19th century: humorously from bump, on the pattern of fractious.
Words that rhyme with bumptiousscrumptious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.