Definition of bun in English:
1A small cake, typically containing dried fruit: a currant bun
More example sentences
- Good Friday is celebrated with a traditional breakfast of codfish cakes and hot-cross buns.
- Imagine children having tea, inevitably squabbling over the buns, teacakes, muffins and - this being a British expression - crumpets.
- There were sack races, a tea in the marquee with cakes, buns and sandwiches for 200, and a lad who won the prize for his branch-covered fancy dress of Boots.
1.2(In Scotland and Jamaica) a rich fruit cake or currant bread.
- Their patties, Jamaican hard-dough bread, buns, and cakes were a hit; within four years the family had opened stores in New Jersey and Connecticut.
- Scottish baking is superb, apart from the obvious shortbread; pies, scones, buns, fruit cake.
- They can also be shredded into scones or bread to add a gorgeous yellow colour, or added to savoury tarts, sweet buns or sponge puddings.
2A hairstyle in which the hair is drawn back into a tight coil at the back of the head.
- If local women venture onto the dusty streets at all, they sport ankle-length dresses, buttoned-up blouses and 1930s hairstyles with buns and pompadours.
- Smiling, she tidied up her hair into a tight bun, with a thin, wooden chopstick going through it.
- I quickly pulled my hair into a tight bun, not wanting to bother with a swim cap.
3 (buns) North American informal A person’s buttocks.
- It takes a very secure individual to call their buttocks, buns.
- The only reason, he adds, that I don't have women walking by me and with a sexy glance saying, "Nice Buns", and smiling knowingly, is because I do not use the Bowflexor.
- Tight, toned and shapely buns and thighs can be yours with this energetic new yoga program.
Late Middle English: of unknown origin.
have a bun in the oven
- informal Be pregnant.Example sentences
- Which Big Brother brunette has a bun in the oven?
- This chick, who's like a soapie star in Australia - announced six weeks ago that she had a bun in the oven.
- Once Bening successfully has a bun in the oven, Shandling's work is done, so he becomes the typical lazy husband, not interested in sex or talking.
Words that rhyme with bunbegun, done, Donne, dun, fine-spun, forerun, fun, gun, Gunn, hon, Hun, none, nun, one, one-to-one, outdone, outgun, outrun, plus-one, pun, run, shun, son, spun, stun, sun, ton, tonne, tun, underdone, Verdun, won
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan