- 1A handheld steel tool used for engraving in metal or wood.More example sentences
- When Bellori chose portraits for his Lives, by a still unidentified artist, he or his amanuensis decided to include such props as a book for Nicolas Poussin and a burin for Agostino Carracci.
- He wields the knife much as the engraver guides his burin over the plate… Marsyas is… a martyr for art.
- By manipulating the plate with his left hand in harmony with the motions of the burin, the engraver can facilitate the direction of the lines, as well as steadying the plate.
- 1.1 Archaeology A flint tool with a chisel point.More example sentences
- This will hold burins and small denticulate flints.
- Stone tools include delicately made blades, microburins, burins, scrapers, and adzes.
- These tools can be made on spans derived from burin blows or may occur on the ends of complete blades or blade segments.
mid 17th century: from French; perhaps related to Old High German bora 'boring tool'.
More definitions of burinDefinition of burin in:
- The US English dictionary