1A handheld steel tool used for engraving in metal or wood.
- When Bellori chose portraits for his Lives, by a still unidentified artist, he or his amanuensis decided to include such props as a book for Nicolas Poussin and a burin for Agostino Carracci.
- He wields the knife much as the engraver guides his burin over the plate… Marsyas is… a martyr for art.
- By manipulating the plate with his left hand in harmony with the motions of the burin, the engraver can facilitate the direction of the lines, as well as steadying the plate.
1.1 Archaeology A flint tool with a chisel point.
- This will hold burins and small denticulate flints.
- Stone tools include delicately made blades, microburins, burins, scrapers, and adzes.
- These tools can be made on spans derived from burin blows or may occur on the ends of complete blades or blade segments.
Mid 17th century: from French; perhaps related to Old High German bora 'boring tool'.
Words that rhyme with burinurine
Definition of burin in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.