Definition of burn up in English:
1(Of a fire) produce brighter and stronger flames.
- There are three major fires burning up there with smoke going high into the sky, and just beside us here, an oil tanker is well on fire.
- He quickly pulled the match head across the strip, a flame quickly burning up on that very tip.
- ‘I think we may get the fire to burn up again,’ he added, throwing some logs upon the embers.
2(Of an object entering the earth’s atmosphere) be destroyed by heat.
- Most meteorites travelling towards earth burn up in the atmosphere, but it's estimated that on average, one does make it through each week.
- When you considering how many meteors burn up on entering our atmosphere it's obvious that if even the tiniest little thing goes wrong with the heat protection then it's curtains.
- The Foton-M2 service module was hereafter separated from the re-entry module and, as planned, burnt up in Earth's atmosphere.
Definition of burn up in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.