Definition of burn up in English:
1(Of a fire) produce brighter and stronger flames.
- There are three major fires burning up there with smoke going high into the sky, and just beside us here, an oil tanker is well on fire.
- He quickly pulled the match head across the strip, a flame quickly burning up on that very tip.
- ‘I think we may get the fire to burn up again,’ he added, throwing some logs upon the embers.
2(Of an object entering the earth’s atmosphere) be destroyed by heat.
- Most meteorites travelling towards earth burn up in the atmosphere, but it's estimated that on average, one does make it through each week.
- When you considering how many meteors burn up on entering our atmosphere it's obvious that if even the tiniest little thing goes wrong with the heat protection then it's curtains.
- The Foton-M2 service module was hereafter separated from the re-entry module and, as planned, burnt up in Earth's atmosphere.
Definition of burn up in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan