- 1A person or thing that burns: [in combination]: uphill walking is a great calorie-burnerMore example sentences
- Very aerobic-biassed, I guess, but at least they are all calorie burners, so they would have got rid of the remnants of the cake we ate at Trevor and Jon's this evening.
- ‘Jumping rope is one of the highest calorie burners,’ Kleinberg says.
- As efficient calorie burners go, running pretty much dominates the scene, and running in the right shoes keeps your legs healthy and your exercise program on track.
- 1.1A part of a cooker, lamp, etc. that emits a flame: [with modifier]: the hob has four gas burnersMore example sentences
- The blue flames of all four burners on the stainless steel hearth are flicked to high.
- Thirteen of us working for five hours in a closed kitchen with molten sugar, hot burners, and open flames.
- The cooker automatically cuts off the gas supply if the burner is accidentally extinguished.
- 1.2An apparatus in which a substance is heated: [with modifier]: the figures carried small incense burnersMore example sentences
- Always interested in the animal mysteries of China, Texier has created bronzes similar to ancient Chinese sculptures, where hippos or oxen carry incense burners on their back.
- The ceramic work of Lee Jeong Do reinterpreted such items as pen rests, incense burners, brush hangers and ink stones.
- Then they are siphoned off into a secondary burner where they are heated to 1,000 degrees, and in that process are destroyed.
- 1.3North American The heating element of an electric cooker.More example sentences
- Some units have electric burners with adjustable controls.
- The higher-order grills boast more heating capacity and a larger cooking surface, though all have core features such as electronic ignition and side burners.
- Coruscating Cinnamon Granules is a looped, silent black-and-white film of cinnamon bits flaring as they fall on an electric burner in a darkened room.
- 2A device for producing a CD or DVD by copying from an original or master copy.More example sentences
- The design for the PC's various components are in flux, with hard drives, DVD burners, video cards, memory and motherboards all being reworked.
- It was pretty, but also slow and notably devoid of drivers for CD-ROM burners, DVD players and other peripherals essential to the modern desktop computing experience.
- Home/business users will want both a DVD-ROM drive and a CD burner, and possibly a DVD burner.
on the back burner
- • informal Having low priority: he wants the matter to be put on the back burnerMore example sentences
- For the moment I'm going to have to shove the whole question on the back burner and stop thinking about it.
- Singapore has reciprocated by putting several disputes on the back burner.
- He went on to say that he had absolutely no doubt that the issue would have been put on the back burner by the Government without the campaign.
More definitions of burnerDefinition of burner in:
- The US English dictionary