1 Astronomy A cosmic source of powerful short-lived bursts of X-rays or other radiation.
- ‘For a few hundredths of a second, gamma-ray bursters produce the most extreme flash of any astronomical object,’ says Bruce Grossan of the Physics Division.
- There is some speculation that gamma-ray bursters release the greatest amounts of energy since the Big Bang.
- The launch date for NASA's Swift satellite - designed to detect and analyse gamma ray bursters - has been delayed thanks to a faulty third stage rocket on an unrelated launch.
2 informal A violent gale.
- The spatial variation of southerly burster, drainage flows and sea breezes in the Illawarra Region are discussed in detail.
- The winds known as southerly bursters are generally to be expected from November to the end of February.
- A more detailed study is made of two southerly bursters which occurred during an observational program held from 21 November 1982 until 13 December 1982.
3A machine which separates continuous stationery into single sheets.
- This variable Burster is very simple to use and very quiet.
- The company was formed in 1980 for the manufacture of bursters and decollators.
- Finally, from the decolater the stationery is fed through a burster to separate each individual page.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: burst¦er
Definition of burster in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.