- 1 Astronomy A cosmic source of powerful short-lived bursts of X-rays or other radiation.More example sentences
- ‘For a few hundredths of a second, gamma-ray bursters produce the most extreme flash of any astronomical object,’ says Bruce Grossan of the Physics Division.
- There is some speculation that gamma-ray bursters release the greatest amounts of energy since the Big Bang.
- The launch date for NASA's Swift satellite - designed to detect and analyse gamma ray bursters - has been delayed thanks to a faulty third stage rocket on an unrelated launch.
- 2 • informal A violent gale.More example sentences
- The spatial variation of southerly burster, drainage flows and sea breezes in the Illawarra Region are discussed in detail.
- The winds known as southerly bursters are generally to be expected from November to the end of February.
- A more detailed study is made of two southerly bursters which occurred during an observational program held from 21 November 1982 until 13 December 1982.
- 3A machine which separates continuous stationery into single sheets.More example sentences
- This variable Burster is very simple to use and very quiet.
- The company was formed in 1980 for the manufacture of bursters and decollators.
- Finally, from the decolater the stationery is fed through a burster to separate each individual page.
More definitions of bursterDefinition of burster in:
- The US English dictionary