noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- 1Of or denoting an alkyl radical —C4H9, derived from butane: butyl acetate See also isobutyl.More example sentences
- These may contain solvents such as toluene, isopropryl alcohol, ethyl and butyl acetates, acetone and other ketones.
- The most durable exterior house paints are based on acrylic co-polymers of materials like methyl methacrylate and butyl acrylate.
- These reformulated gasolines contain either corn-derived ethanol or natural-gas derivatives such as MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether).
- 1.1 short for butyl rubber.More example sentences
- Good ventilation, goggles, and butyl or nitrile rubber gloves are essential; work in a hood is recommended.
- Several types of synthetic materials also may be referred to as latex (eg, butyl, petroleum-based materials) but these do not contain the proteins that cause allergic reactions.
- Seam problems were resolved by the introduction of butyl seam tapes as a replacement for earlier liquid-applied neoprene adhesive.
More definitions of butylDefinition of butyl in:
- The US English dictionary