Definition of butyl in English:
noun[as modifier] Chemistry
1Of or denoting an alkyl radical —C4H9, derived from butane: butyl acetate See also isobutyl.
More example sentences
- These may contain solvents such as toluene, isopropryl alcohol, ethyl and butyl acetates, acetone and other ketones.
- The most durable exterior house paints are based on acrylic co-polymers of materials like methyl methacrylate and butyl acrylate.
- These reformulated gasolines contain either corn-derived ethanol or natural-gas derivatives such as MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether).
1.1 short for butyl rubber.
- Good ventilation, goggles, and butyl or nitrile rubber gloves are essential; work in a hood is recommended.
- Several types of synthetic materials also may be referred to as latex (eg, butyl, petroleum-based materials) but these do not contain the proteins that cause allergic reactions.
- Seam problems were resolved by the introduction of butyl seam tapes as a replacement for earlier liquid-applied neoprene adhesive.
Definition of butyl in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan