- Delay an event temporarily so as to have longer to improve one’s own position.More example sentences
- He also realised that Britain was not well prepared for war and that he needed to buy time to improve Britain's military position.
- But it buys time in the hope of getting a better eventual mix of investments and in the expectation that share prices generally will pick up.
- Freezing also buys time, holding the material in suspended animation until the work of cleaning and repairing begins.
More definitions of buy timeDefinition of buy time in:
- The US English dictionary