- 1An incidental or secondary product made in the manufacture or synthesis of something else: zinc is a by-product of the glazing processMore example sentences
- Further down the valley on the old soda ash beds, wild orchids bloom on the alkaline soil, a by-product of soda manufacture.
- The process of drilling for oil produces toxic by-products - drilling mud and poisonous waste water, which get dumped into the ocean.
- Sugar cane fiber, a by-product of sugar manufacturing, can be made into paper.
- 1.1An unintended but inevitable secondary result: he saw poverty as the by-product of colonial prosperityMore example sentences
- Perhaps it was an inevitable by-product of the Bosman ruling, which allowed holders of EU passports to be treated the same as nationals.
- Rumours are an inevitable by-product of the success he has had at Preston.
- The snobbery and hatred of meritocracy that have been revealed this week are simply inevitable further by-products of monarchy.