1The transfer of a competitor directly to the next round of a competition in the absence of an assigned opponent: he has a bye into the second round
More example sentences
- All 16 seeded players received byes into the second round.
- Where's the justice in eliminating more non-league teams in the qualifying rounds than is necessary, only for league clubs to be given byes in the first round proper of the competition?
- Again, there would be a two-day playoff, but without byes.
2 Cricket A run scored from a ball that passes the batsman without being hit (recorded as an extra, not credited to the individual batsman).
- Cricket, with its googlies, boseys, chinamen, silly legs, byes, sundries - the whole argot - was incomprehensible without deep explanation.
- Some balls bounced three times before getting to the batsman; others went clean over the wicketkeeper for four byes.
- His first ball was a no-ball, his second a full-toss, and his third ripped out of the rough for two byes.
Mid 16th century (denoting a side issue or incidental matter): from by.
Words that rhyme with byeally, Altai, apply, assai, awry, ay, aye, Baha'i, belie, bi, Bligh, buy, by, bye-bye, chi, Chiangmai, Ciskei, comply, cry, Cy, Dai, defy, deny, Di, die, do-or-die, dry, Dubai, dye, espy, eye, fie, fly, forbye, fry, Frye, goodbye (US goodby), guy, hereby, hi, hie, high, I, imply, I-spy, July, kai, lie, lye, Mackay, misapply, my, nearby, nigh, Nye, outfly, passer-by, phi, pi, pie, ply, pry, psi, Qinghai, rai, rely, rocaille, rye, scry, serai, shanghai, shy, sigh, sky, Skye, sky-high, sly, spin-dry, spry, spy, sty, Sukhotai, supply, Tai, Thai, thereby, thigh, thy, tie, Transkei, try, tumble-dry, underlie, Versailles, Vi, vie, whereby, why, wry, Wye, xi, Xingtai, Yantai
Short for goodbye. Okay, James. I’ll call her now. Bye Bye for now, Janie!
More example sentences
- I have decided that I have run out of adjectives or maybe never had any in the first place so bye for now.
- Well, my mom's calling me because we're going to the hospital to visit my grandma, so bye for now, and pray I don't upset her.
- But anyway, you've probably got better things to do than listen to me rant, so bye for now.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.