- A nickname, especially one given to distinguish a person from others with the same given name: surnames started off as bynames to distinguish two persons in the same localityMore example sentences
- He fled from Rome, hid out with a kinsman of the nobleman from whom he took his famous byname, then went to Naples and Malta, and on, ever on, from there as news of his crime caught up with him.
- The byname Martel is attested from the 9th century.
- The Resurrection Man - to use a byname of the period - was not to be deterred by any of the sanctities of customary piety.
More definitions of bynameDefinition of byname in:
- The US English dictionary