noun[mass noun] Medicine
- Weakness and wasting of the body due to severe chronic illness.More example sentences
- This age discrepancy occurred despite a lower prevalence of arteriosclerosis, cachexia, and hepatitis B in women and no significant differences in the frequencies of other infectious diseases.
- Anorexia and cachexia caused by wasting syndromes are best managed with patient and family education, as well as a possible trial of appetite stimulants such as megestrol or dexamethasone.
- The patient's general appearance should be assessed for evidence of resting dyspnea, cyanosis and cachexia.
mid 16th century: via late Latin from Greek kakhexia, from kakos 'bad' + hexis 'habit'.
More definitions of cachexiaDefinition of cachexia in:
- The US English dictionary