Definition of cadaverous in English:
Very pale, thin, or bony: he was gaunt and cadaverous
More example sentences
- She is skeletally thin, with hollow, cadaverous eyes and cheeks.
- Stubble adorned his thin, cadaverous, scarred face, and remnants of blood stained the ends of his hair.
- When you're about 60, the penalty for remaining rockstar-thin is a cadaverous face and hollow cheeks.
(deathly) pale, pallid, white, bloodless, ashen, ashen-faced, ashy, chalky, chalk-white, grey, white-faced, whey-faced, waxen, waxy, corpse-like, deathlike, ghostly;
very thin, as thin as a rake, bony, skeletal, emaciated, skin-and-bones, scrawny, scraggy, raw-boned, haggard, gaunt, drawn, pinched, hollow-cheeked, hollow-eyed
late Middle English: from Latin cadaverosus, from cadaver 'corpse'.
- Example sentences
- Haggard, frayed and cadaverously pale with his eyes sunk somewhere deep in the back of his skull, in the final scene he looks like someone who is about to die.
- For a chef, he looks cadaverously under-nourished.
- I'm an ectomorph with medium ash brown hair that I'm always ruining by dyeing it (so it always has garish brassy orange tones), brown eyes that I sometimes conceal with grey contacts, and cadaverously fair skin.
- Example sentences
- His pigmentation is described as ‘[a] cadaverousness of complexion’ and as having a ‘ghastly pallor’.
- He was a man whose figure promised cadaverousness, but who had an excessively red face, though shaped like a horse's.
- Therefore, at the politically upbeat end of the scale, with conflicts, both domestic and international, being resolved, they might well evolve into a minimalist organization, lean perhaps to the point of cadaverousness, based primarily on high technology and special forces, supported by airpower, which many today see as a classical model for the new world.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan