noun (plural cadis)
- (In Islamic countries) a judge.More example sentences
- Customary law and Muslim law are carried out by the cadis in matters of personal rights and inheritance.
- The police and the French gendarmerie help the European judges who dispense justice in the penal system and constitute the court of appeals for the tribunals of Islamic judges (cadis).
- The rabbis in their pulpits and the kadis in their mosques have erased the word from their lexicon.
late 16th century: from Arabic qāḍī, from qaḍā 'to judge'.
More definitions of cadiDefinition of cadi in:
- The US English dictionary