A burrowing worm-like amphibian of a tropical order distinguished by poorly developed eyes and the lack of limbs.
- Order Gymnophiona (or Apoda): five families
More example sentences
- Some not-so-familiar creatures, like the legless, burrowing caecilians, are also amphibians.
- Although they are amphibians, caecilians are denizens of the terrestrial underworld.
- While burrowing, caecilians employ concertina locomotion, lateral undulation, and vermiform locomotion.
Definition of caecilian in:
- The US English dictionary