- A compound of a type that reduces the influx of calcium into the cells of cardiac and smooth muscle, reducing the strength of contractions. Drugs of this kind are used to treat angina and high blood pressure.More example sentences
- Calcium antagonists are another newer type of blood pressure lowering drug.
- Magnesium sulfate is a calcium antagonist that induces smooth muscle relaxation.
- He was taking an angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor, a calcium antagonist, and a blocker for hypertension.
More definitions of calcium antagonistDefinition of calcium antagonist in:
- The US English dictionary