1A projection on a rotating part in machinery, designed to make sliding contact with another part while rotating and impart reciprocal or variable motion to it.
- Contact between the cams and the tappets in the valve train span the mixed and boundary regions.
- Variable camshaft timing on both the intake and exhaust cams rotate the cams between the adjustment extremes in a stepless fashion.
- Solid, or mechanical, lifters provide more direct contact between the cam and pushrod and accordingly can rev up to 8,000 rpm.
- The cam made the engine too lumpy for slow moving London driving and the radiator barely coped with the extra heat.
- The all-aluminum engines feature dual overhead cams and four valves per cylinder.
- Advances in technology means that engines work more efficiently using an overhead cam.
2 informal A camera.
- My wife suggested I get my camera and I took several photos, all of them very disappointing with the digital cam.
- I must make an effort to use my digital cam to snap a shot of Woody in action to post.
- However, it has just not been convenient to stop and use the digital cam to snap a few pictures.
Late 18th century: from Dutch kam 'comb', as in kamrad 'cogwheel'.
Words that rhyme with camam, Amsterdam, Assam, Bram, cham, cheongsam, clam, cram, dam, damn, drachm, dram, exam, femme, flam, gam, glam, gram, ham, jam, jamb, lam, lamb, mam, mesdames, Omar Khayyám, Pam, pram, pro-am, ram, Sam, scam, scram, sham, Siam, slam, Spam, swam, tam, tram, Vietnam, wham, yam