An expert in canon law: the greatest canonist of his day
More example sentences
- Some canonists argued on the pope's authority as ‘vicar of Christ,’ because the pope, being something more than a man, can put asunder a marriage!
- The same change of perspective might equally apply in our attitudes about the canons, and canonists, generally.
- It is for that reason he insists that the canonist exercises a church ministry - a ministry that ramifies to everything from liturgical celebration to pastoral strategies of various kinds.
- Example sentences
- Las Casas had to use the canonistic tradition in a situation that the canonists had never envisioned.
- Aquinas sets out simply to clarify and systematize received theological and canonistic teachings on the Jews.
- And, even then, a dissident antipapal council assembled in 1511 at Pisa, stimulating a great outflow of canonistic and theological writings in defence of the Conciliar theory.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: can¦on|ist
Definition of canonist in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.