noun (plural canzoni /-ni/)
- 1An Italian or Provençal song or ballad.More example sentences
- Some of these traditions are metric conventions, which are constitutive for certain genres such as Italian and French canzone.
- But the postBeatrice canzoni discussed in the Convivio are not entirely repudiated in the turn back to Beatrice and sacred love represented by the Commedia, given the role that two of the three play in the poem.
- These three canzoni were then embedded in a second prose work of Dante's, Il Convivio, which also frames and explicates his lyric verse.
late 16th century: from Italian, 'song', from Latin cantio(n-) 'singing', from canere 'sing'.
More definitions of canzoneDefinition of canzone in:
- The US English dictionary