noun (plural capitula /-lə/)Anatomy & Biology
- A compact head of a structure, in particular a dense flat cluster of small flowers or florets, as in plants of the daisy family.More example sentences
- The temporal phases of staminate and pistillate flowers never overlap in the same capitulum, although different capitula of the same individual plant may be in different phases at any given moment.
- The total number of capitula produced per flowering plant, estimated on 85 accessible individuals, ranged from 3 to 140.
- The B concentration in the capitulum of the plants sprayed at the highest rate was between 37 and 93% of that in the control plants.
early 18th century: from Latin, diminutive of caput 'head'.
More definitions of capitulumDefinition of capitulum in:
- The US English dictionary