noun[mass noun] Chemistry
- A compound that is responsible for the pungency of capsicums.
More example sentences
- A cyclic amide; chemical formula: C18H27NO3
- What was known was that certain types of nerve endings responded to capsaicin by allowing calcium ions to flow into the cell.
- What you were up against was the awesome power of a chemical known as capsaicin, an odorless, flavorless substance present in chili peppers.
- Although capsaicin causes respiratory problems, the researchers did not find evidence of any unique metabolites in lung microsomes.
late 19th century: alteration of capsicine, the name of a substance formerly thought to have the same property.
More definitions of capsaicinDefinition of capsaicin in:
- The US English dictionary