- The hard upper shell of a tortoise, crustacean, or arachnid: • figurative under her carapace of self-confidence she was very sensitive to criticismMore example sentences
- The hard carapace or upper shell of some sea turtles acts as a protection from predators.
- Some have distinctive markings on their heads and on their carapace, or upper shell.
- These genera have well-ornamented carapaces that exhibit carapace width and length ratios that differ from the other genera within the family.
mid 19th century: from French, from Spanish carapacho, of unknown origin.
More definitions of carapaceDefinition of carapace in:
- The US English dictionary