- A colourless, odourless gas produced by burning carbon and organic compounds and by respiration. It is naturally present in air (about 0.03 per cent) and is absorbed by plants in photosynthesis.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: CO2
- This fixed air is carbon dioxide, into which carbonates decompose when heated.
- For example, plants give out oxygen and animals expel carbon dioxide and methane.
- This difference makes it possible for organisms to build up carbon compounds from carbon dioxide.
More definitions of carbon dioxideDefinition of carbon dioxide in:
- The US English dictionary