Definition of carbuncle in English:
1A severe abscess or multiple boil in the skin, typically infected with staphylococcus bacteria.
- It can be made into a salve or the tincture can be painted on boils, felons, carbuncles, abscesses, inflamed acne, cellulitis and other local inflammations.
- Usually the staphylococcal bacteria are not concentrated enough to do any harm, but sometimes they pass deeper into the skin to cause boils, abscesses, styes and carbuncles.
- This is particularly true of inflammatory conditions such as boils and carbuncles - painful, pus-filled bumps that form under your skin when bacteria infect one or more of your hair follicles.
2A bright red gem, in particular a garnet cut en cabochon.
- But the buckle on her belt was the shape of a circle of thorns surrounding a bright red carbuncle, like the tattoo on the nape of her neck.
- Behind the guard was another, but he seemed to be more of a mage, with flowing red robes and an oaken staff with a brilliant carbuncle sapphire in its top.
- Stones of deep red color like glowing carbuncles are let into gilded woodwork, and Limoges enamels ornament the walls.
- Example sentences
- Two cases of anthracoid or carbuncular eruptions due to iodides are reported.
- The returns of the Registrar-General for this year exhibit a higher mortality from carbuncular diseases than those of any preceding one.
- The local and constitutional symptoms became progressively more intense; and when first seen he had an extensive carbuncular infection.
Words that rhyme with carbuncleparbuckle • turnbuckle
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan