Definition of carnet in English:
1A book of tickets for use on public transport in some countries.
- Renilson has also introduced other innovations such as more accessible timetables, buses every 10 minutes on urban corridors, carnets of tickets and add-on fares with ScotRail and Citylink.
- I caused bottlenecks in front of crowded Métro barriers, frantically scrabbling through my satchel for that sad little bag containing my carnet of tickets.
- This, as you might gather, is a pack of six bus tickets, or for Europeans, a carnet.
2A customs permit allowing a motor vehicle to be taken across a frontier for a limited period.
- He has been accused of bribing and forging carnets, a type of customs document required for transit passage of land vehicles through certain countries.
- This made it impossible for Bulgarian trucks to travel with Georgian carnets.
- Dimitrov said that travelling with a fake carnet was impossible because carnets were issued by a licensed authority in the country in which the truck was registered.
1920s: from French, 'notebook'.