The female reproductive organ of a flower, consisting of an ovary, a stigma, and usually a style. It may occur singly or as one of a group.
More example sentences
- The terminal female flowers consist of two or three carpels and no other organs.
- Unisexual flowers with three white petals produce numerous stamens or carpels and both present floral nectar.
- In the center of a typical flower are the carpels, modified leaves which enclose the ovules.
mid 19th century: from French carpelle or modern Latin carpellum, from Greek karpos 'fruit'.
- More example sentences
- Moreover, newer technologies for peeling and sectioning grapefruit yield whole segments, with carpellary membranes largely intact.
Definition of carpel in:
- The US English dictionary