Definition of cast iron in English:
1A hard, relatively brittle alloy of iron and carbon which can be readily cast in a mould and contains a higher proportion of carbon than steel (typically 2-4.3 per cent).
- It had three keyholes and as many huge keys and was apparently made of cast iron reinforced with steel.
- There are two other classes of cast iron which are more ductile than gray cast iron.
- Steel combines something of the strength of wrought iron with the malleability of cast iron.
2 [as modifier] Firm and unchangeable: there are no cast-iron guarantees
More example sentences
- But it is reluctant to issue a cast-iron guarantee that every contract will meet its target, even though none has fallen short to date.
- It combines stock market growth potential with a cast-iron guarantee that savers will not lose a penny if the market volatility continues.
- In this sense, the individual must again decide in each case, giving a cast-iron definition of where they would draw the line.
Definition of cast iron in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan