A tree with slender, jointed, drooping twigs which resemble horsetails and bear tiny scale-like leaves, native to Australia and SE Asia. Also called she-oak.
- Genus Casuarina, family Casuarinaceae
More example sentences
- Planting makes use of indigenous species, like the frothy casuarinas (feathery tree native to Australia) along the northern edges of the site and the native grasses which cover low earth berms around the range.
- This bird is a ground forager, feeding on proteas, casuarinas and other small trees.
- Bermuda extends 21 square miles, and much of it is covered by introduced species like the casuarinas tree, an import from Australia.
from modern Latin casuarius 'cassowary' (from the resemblance of the branches to the bird's feathers).
Definition of casuarina in:
- The US English dictionary