1A native of Catalonia in Spain.
- A survey the other day revealed that 80% of Catalans want Spain to lose every possible game.
- In Perpignan they are Catalans first and French second, and they have a very strong association with the Catalans in Spain.
- But native Catalans will tell you that they are really a separate nation from the rest of Spain.
2 [mass noun] A Romance language closely related to Castilian Spanish and Provençal, widely spoken in Catalonia (where it has official status alongside Castilian Spanish) and in Andorra, the Balearic Islands, and parts of southern France. It has about 6 million speakers in all.
- Andorra's official language is Catalan, a Romance language spoken in Catalonia, a region in Spain.
- Gasol speaks three languages: Catalan, Spanish and English.
- The parliament has already spent £102000 providing advice in a dozen other languages, including Catalan, French, Spanish and German.
Relating to Catalonia, its people, or its language.
- Their parliament, government and universities were closed and the Catalan language banned.
- He still has problems with the Catalan language, more comfortable with English and German, but he has been making attempts to be less of a non-compromiser.
- In addition to its tolerant history, the town is proud of the Catalan culture and language it shares with the rest of the Catalonia region of Spain.
From French, from Spanish catalán, related to Catalan català 'Catalan', Catalunya 'Catalonia'.
Definition of Catalan in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.