Definition of category in English:
noun (plural categories)
1A class or division of people or things regarded as having particular shared characteristics: the various categories of research
More example sentences
- The most widely used algorithms can be grouped into five main categories, as shown in Table 1.
- All the main tax categories increased with income and corporation tax showing particularly strong surges.
- For purposes of classification they could be divided into five broad categories.
type, sort, kind, variety, species, genre, breed, style, brand, make, model, family, stamp, cast, ilk, kidney;
2 Philosophy Each of a possibly exhaustive set of classes among which all things might be distributed.
- In outlining the category of substance, we have already referred to examples of the second category listed, quality.
- Kant believed that he had arrived at his list of categories by a process of abstraction.
2.1Each of the a priori conceptions applied by the mind to sense impressions.
- Kantian categories of thought which we use to make sense of the world are those possessing this property, which we shall term reciprocity.
- These fundamental categories are a priori, that is, they exist prior to experience.
- So, for example, the category of substance is interpreted in terms of permanence.
- Example sentences
- Of course, temporal-parts theorists may urge that this categorial distinction between objects and processes is a superficial and philosophically unjustifiable one, rooted in the idiosyncrasies of everyday grammatical forms.
- Statistical relations between the categorial variables were analysed with SPSS software, using analysis or the Cochran Q test for related dichotomous variables.
- The political significance of categorial identity is clear in part because we are used to thinking of politics by reference to identity categories anyway.
Words that rhyme with categoryvinegary • subcategory
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan