- A flexible tube inserted through a narrow opening into a body cavity, particularly the bladder, for removing fluid: a urinary catheterMore example sentences
- Patients should also have a nasogastric tube and urinary catheter inserted.
- It is often helpful to insert a urinary catheter, so that the diarrhoea can be accurately quantified by recording the stool weight.
- This relieves the obstruction to the flow of urine by passing a urinary catheter to empty the bladder.
early 17th century: from late Latin, from Greek kathetēr, from kathienai 'send or let down'.
More definitions of catheterDefinition of catheter in:
- The US English dictionary