- Relating to a mirror, a reflector, or reflection.More example sentences
- The jewel of the site is the catoptric light with its brass and steel clockwork to turn it.
- Ambrose, built in 1952-53, is the only lightship equipped with a modern catoptric type lens.
- Prior to that the single catoptric fixed white light was powered by three burners.
noun[treated as singular] Back to top
- The branch of optics that deals with reflection.More example sentences
- It was called ‘dioptrics’ because it dealt with the refraction of light rather than with reflection (‘catoptrics’).
- In your presence, my dear Menelaus, I am ashamed to confute a mathematical proposition, the foundation on which rests the subject of catoptrics.
mid 16th century: from Greek katoptrikos 'reflecting', from katoptron 'mirror'.
More definitions of catoptricDefinition of catoptric in:
- The US English dictionary